Asked by: Jianguo Nietzscheasked in category: General Last Updated: 10th March, 2020
Where should I put my compost pile?
Click to see full answer.
Just so, how do you start a compost pile?
How to Compost
- Start your compost pile on bare earth.
- Lay twigs or straw first, a few inches deep.
- Add compost materials in layers, alternating moist anddry.
- Add manure, green manure (clover, buckwheat, wheatgrass, grassclippings) or any nitrogen source.
- Keep compost moist.
Also, should compost pile be in sun or shade? You can put your compost pile in the sunor in the shade, but putting it in the sun willhasten the composting process. Sun helps increase thetemperature, so the bacteria and fungi work faster. This also meansthat your pile will dry out faster, especially in warmsouthern climates.
Additionally, can I put my compost bin on concrete?
The perfect site for your bin is on soilin a sunny area. If you have to put your compost bin onconcrete, tarmac or patio slabs ensure there s a layer of paperand twigs or existing compost on the bottom sothe worms and other creatures cancolonise.
What should you not put in compost?
- Dog and Cat Poop. Horse, cow, chicken and rabbit droppings aregreat additions to your compost pile.
- Tea and Coffee Bags.
- Citrus Peels and Onions.
- Fish and Meat Scraps.
- Glossy or Coated Paper.
- Sticky Labels on Fruits and Vegetables.
- Coal Fire Ash.
- Sawdust From Treated Wood.