Asked by: Tatyana Canouraasked in category: General Last Updated: 1st May, 2020
What paint can I use over wallpaper?
Furthermore, what kind of paint do you use to paint over wallpaper?
Oil-based primer or priming shellac covers the pattern and seals the paper against moisture to keep the paper from bubbling and the glue from loosening underneath new paint. You can use either latex or oil-based paint over the primer or shellac.
Subsequently, question is, should I strip wallpaper or paint over it? As earlier mentioned, it's always better to remove wallpaper before applying your paint; however, there are some cases where painting over wallpaper may actually be a better alternative. Painting over the wallpaper means the drywall or plaster walls under the paper will remain intact.
Considering this, is painting over wallpaper a good idea?
The short answer is yes, so long as the wallpaper is well attached to the wall and it's in good condition. If you are painting over vinyl wallpaper, you will definitely need to use a primer before you start painting. Once you have primed the wall properly, you can use any kind of paint on top.
Can you prime and paint over wallpaper?
- STEP 1: Clean the wallpaper-covered walls with diluted TSP.
- STEP 2: Add extra adhesive beneath the paper's top and bottom edges, then prime.
- STEP 3: Wait for the primer to dry before painting over wallpaper.
- STEP 4: Apply your first coat of oil-based paint.
- STEP 5: Let dry completely and complete a second coat.