Asked by: Aradia Blumensteinasked in category: General Last Updated: 30th March, 2020
What is an air intake valve?
Click to see full answer.
In this manner, what happens when the idle air control valve goes bad?
One of the most common symptoms associated with a problematic idle air control valve is irregular idle speed. If the valve fails or has any issues it can cause the idle speed to be thrown off. This may result in an unusually high or low idle speed, or in some cases a surging idle speed that repeatedly climbs and falls.
Beside above, what is the function of idle air control valve? An idle air control valve, also called an idle air sensor control motor, is an electrically operated valve that controls the amount of air that bypasses the throttle plate in cars with a fuel injection system [source: Autozone]. This causes the idling speed of the engine to change as needed.
In this regard, how do you know if the idle air control valve is bad?
Method 1 Identifying Issues with an Idle Control Valve
- Look for a high engine idle. A common symptom of a faulty idle control valve can be a high idle.
- Pay attention to low idle or stalling.
- Look for signs of a vacuum leak.
- Take note if the check engine light comes on.
How do I reset my idle air control valve?
Reset the IAC valve pintle position by performing the following:
- Depress the accelerator pedal slightly.
- Start the engine and run for 5 seconds.
- Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position for 10 seconds.
- Restart the engine and check for proper idle operation.