Asked by: Venanci Mandarasked in category: General Last Updated: 6th June, 2020
What does a formative assessment mean?
Hereof, what are examples of formative assessments?
Examples of formative assessments include asking students to:
- draw a concept map in class to represent their understanding of a topic.
- submit one or two sentences identifying the main point of a lecture.
- turn in a research proposal for early feedback.
One may also ask, does a formative assessment count? All assessment tasks can be used formatively or summatively. We should not label particular assessment tasks as either summative or formative. If I give students a test or assign them homework but do not count it towards their grade, then these are formative assessments.
Subsequently, one may also ask, what is the difference between formative and summative assessment?
In a nutshell, formative assessments are quizzes and tests that evaluate how someone is learning material throughout a course. Summative assessments are quizzes and tests that evaluate how much someone has learned throughout a course.
How do you use formative assessment?
8 Great Ways to Use Formative Assessment in Your Class
- Use pre-assessment formative activities before beginning a unit.
- Use pre-assessment formative activities to discover students who might need instruction outside the time in the regular classroom.
- Use the formative assessment activities to help form your lesson plans.
- Use formative assessment as rewards.