Asked by: Aurimas Smidasked in category: General Last Updated: 13th January, 2020
What do you need for chickens?
- Housing/Brooder. You will need some sort of container or small building or enclosure to house your brood.
- Bedding. Chicks need something on the floor beneath them.
- Heat Lamp.
- Food Dish.
- Food and Water.
- A Safe Home: The Chicken Coop.
- A Safe Run.
In this manner, what do I need to know before getting chickens?
Top 10 Things You Should Know Before Raising Chickens
- Check the Laws.
- You Don't Need a Rooster.
- The Right Size Coop.
- Hens Only Lay for a Few Years.
- Hens Don't Lay Year Round.
- Eggs Don't Need to be Washed.
- Eggs Don't Need to be Refrigerated.
- Check Your Egg Laws.
One may also ask, what should be inside a chicken coop? It has to hold a feeder and water containers, a roosting area, and a nest box for every three hens. A proper coop should be large enough that you can stand in it to gather eggs and shovel manure comfortably, but a simple henhouse can be quite a bit smaller.
Similarly one may ask, what is the best bedding for chickens?
Wood shavings are a really good option for chicken coop bedding. You absolutely need pine wood shavings, and not cedar shavings (cedar oils and scent can be toxic to chickens). Go for large flake wood shavings, over fine shavings (too dusty) and don't use sawdust (way too dusty and damp).
How often should you clean a chicken coop?
Once or twice a year or less, you clean the coop out.