Asked by: Jhaneth Burdalloasked in category: General Last Updated: 2nd March, 2020
What can you eat after a stoma blockage?
Also question is, what foods should I avoid with a stoma?
Diet and your stoma Some people may be advised to avoid eating very fibrous foods or foods with tough outer skins such as sweetcorn, popcorn, peas and potato skins to avoid causing a blockage in the bowel. Avoid fizzy drinks if you produce a lot of gas.
One may also ask, how do you get rid of a stoma blockage? Some ways you can treat a blockage at home are:
- Walking aids in digestion.
- Drink a lot of fluids, including grape juice and hot tea.
- Take a hot bath or use a heating pad on your abdomen.
- Gently massage around your stoma to encourage the blockage to work its way out.
- Check to see if your stoma is swollen.
Correspondingly, what can you eat after stoma surgery?
Eating a Healthy Diet
- Protein rich foods such as meat, fish, eggs, nuts, lentils and beans.
- Protein and calcium rich dairy foods such as milk, cheese and yoghurt.
- Starchy foods such as bread, rice, potatoes, pasta.
- Fruit and vegetables.
- Fat -if you are underweight fat is an important source of energy.
Why does my stoma bag fill up with air?
Air from the stoma causes the bag to expand and detach from the skin (ballooning) Ballooning occurs when air from the stoma inflates the bag and cannot escape through the filter. The resulting air pressure can cause the adhesive to detach from the skin.