Asked by: Octavian Krusenasked in category: General Last Updated: 19th May, 2020
What are some words that people say differently?
- Bagel. Shutterstock.
- Caramel. Shutterstock.
- Syrup. Shutterstock.
- Pajamas. Shutterstock.
- Nevada. Shutterstock.
- Oregon. Shutterstock.
- New Orleans. Shutterstock.
- Caribbean. Shutterstock.
Click to see full answer.
Beside this, what are words people say weird?
There are just 24 examples of words you or those around you might be saying incorrectly — myself included.
- Prescription. Doing it wrong: “Pur – scrip – shun”
- Sherbet. Doing it wrong: “Sure – burt”
- Sudoku. Doing it wrong: “Suh – doe – coo”
- Comptroller. Doing it wrong: “Comp – troll – ur”
Secondly, what are the most mispronounced words? The 150 Most Commonly Mispronounced Words, Explained
- Acaí [ah-sigh-EE]
- Chiaroscuro [kee-ahr-uh-SKYOOR-oh]
- Flautist [FLOU-tist]
- GIF [jiff]
- Mischievous [MIS-chuh-vus]
- Niche [neesh] or [nitch]
Also Know, what are words that people pronounce different?
There are many English words that are spelled the same but pronounced differently. Such words are called heteronyms (more loosely also homographs, but homographs can also be pronounced the same; they just mean different things).
What words do British pronounce differently?
The Brit List: 10 Words Pronounced Differently in Britain
- Vitamin = In the U.K. it's pronounced how it is spelled VIT-a-min, vit rhymes with wit.
- Aluminum = The British pronunciation is a tongue twister.
- Privacy = In the U.K. it's sort of like privy, as in “You're not privy to this conversation.” The word is pronounced PRIV-a-see, “priv” rhymes with the verb “live.”