Asked by: Pura Ehlertasked in category: General Last Updated: 26th February, 2020
What are major causes of malnutrition?
Furthermore, what are the causes of malnutrition PDF?
The main causes of malnutrition include changes in nutrient requirements, secondary to disease processes and drug modalities in combination with low or marginal dietary intake. Infections are common and result in anorexia, poor dietary intake, and malnutrition, which predispose the patient to another infection .
Also Know, what diseases can be caused by malnutrition? Some health conditions that can lead to malnutrition include: long-term conditions that cause loss of appetite, feeling sick, vomiting and/or changes in bowel habit (such as diarrhoea) – these include cancer, liver disease and some lung conditions (such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease)
Also question is, what are the 4 types of malnutrition?
Various forms of malnutrition
- There are 4 broad sub-forms of undernutrition: wasting, stunting, underweight, and deficiencies in vitamins and minerals.
- Low weight-for-height is known as wasting.
- Low height-for-age is known as stunting.
- Children with low weight-for-age are known as underweight.
How do you test for malnutrition?
Some signs and symptoms of malnutrition include:
- a lack of appetite or interest in food or drink.
- tiredness and irritability.
- an inability to concentrate.
- always feeling cold.
- loss of fat, muscle mass, and body tissue.
- a higher risk of getting sick and taking longer to heal.
- longer healing time for wounds.