Asked by: Chahd Dalakerasked in category: General Last Updated: 10th January, 2020
Should you report a mountain lion sighting?
Similarly, you may ask, should I report a mountain lion sighting?
Your chances of encountering a mountain lion are small. However, mountain lion attacks have been on the rise as humans increasingly enter these cats' territory. If at any time you spot a mountain lion, report the sighting or encounter to your local forest ranger station or visitor center as soon as possible.
Also, how rare is it to see a mountain lion? It's very rare to see a mountain lion, but if you live in an area where they have been sighted, we recommend the following safety tips: Hike with friends, when possible. If you hike alone, try not to do it at dawn, dusk or night.
Considering this, what to do if a mountain lion is stalking you?
Here is the short version of this post: If a mountain lion is stalking you:
- Stop running / don't run away.
- Appear larger than you are.
- Don't crouch down.
- Make eye contact.
- Speak firmly and calmly.
- Throw things.
- Fight if there is an attack.
How do you scare away mountain lions?
- Recognize the signs of a pending attack. If a mountain lion is less than 25 yards away from you and is staring directly at you, it is preparing to attack you.
- Back away slowly.
- Make some noise.
- Make yourself larger.
- Have a weapon to defend yourself.
- Protect your neck, throat, and head.
- Report the sighting.