Asked by: Macire Eastonasked in category: General Last Updated: 27th June, 2020
Is it hard to keep discus fish?
Furthermore, are discus fish easy to keep?
Wild caught discus can be challenging to keep, due to their specialized water chemistry and dietary needs, however, most discus sold today are captive bred and are much easier to keep. That said, they are not for beginners for a variety of reasons.
Also, how do you keep discus fish healthy? Domestically-bred Discus are really no different to any other fish and these are the very basic rules:
- Keep them in groups, as they are a shoaling species.
- Provide them with chemically clean water.
- Undertake weekly water changes of a minimum 25%.
- Install a fully mature biological filter.
In this regard, how many discus fish should be kept together?
The rule of thumb for how many discus you can keep together doesn't necessarily apply to everyone but is 1 discus for every 10 gallons of water. Therefore if you follow that rule you can only keep 10 full size discus in a 100 gallon tank.
How do you tell if a discus is stressed?
Symptoms: You should observe your fish often for any of these signs of stress.
- Gasping at the Surface: If a fish is gasping his mouth at the surface, this is a sign of stress brought on by poor water conditions, usually a lack of oxygen.
- Appetite: If a fish is stressed, oftentimes he will not eat.