Asked by: Amayra Jehringasked in category: General Last Updated: 25th February, 2020
How do you prune Osmanthus fragrans?
- Prune preferably at the end of winter but before the first buds appear.
- It's also often practiced to prune after the blooming, so that spring flowers aren't compromised.
- It's also possible to pruning after flowering.
- Remove dead and fragile branches regularly.
Keeping this in view, can you hard prune osmanthus?
Pruning too early in the winter can cause the branches to freeze. Osmanthus does not grow particularly rapidly and only really needs pruning if it gets too big, or if it has ugly or dead branches. Osmanthus burkwoodii is best pruned after flowering in May/June, so you can still enjoy the beautifully scented flowers.
Additionally, when should you prune tea olives? Tea olives flower on the new growth of the season and are typically prune in early fall or in late spring after they have finished blooming. Since yours is blooming now, wait until late spring or early summer to do any pruning. To keep them bushy, tea olives are traditionally pruned as you would a hedge.
Correspondingly, how do you prune overgrown tea olives?
How to Prune Tea Olive Shrubs
- Cut off any broken, dead or diseased foliage or branches from the tea olive, regardless of the time of year.
- Trim back branch tips in late winter or early spring to shape the tea olive shrub.
- Pinch back new growth in early summer with the hand pruners.
How do you take care of a tea olive tree?
How to Care for a Tea Olive Shrub
- Plant the tea olive bush in an area with full sun to partial shade.
- Water the plant with 1 inch of water a week during the first growing season as it becomes established.
- Apply a complete fertilizer, such as 10-10-10, each year in early spring.