Asked by: Karem Batsynasked in category: General Last Updated: 21st January, 2020
How do you find the primary resistance of a coil?
- Set the multimeter to measure resistance (ohms).
- Connect the positive lead to the positive terminal of the coil.
- Connect the negative lead to the negative terminal.
- A typical value would read 0.4 - 2 ohms.
Also question is, what is primary resistance on ignition coil?
Most ignition coils should have a primary resistance falling somewhere between 0.4 and 2 ohms; however, refer to your manufacturer's specifications for the correct reading. If a reading of zero is displayed, that signifies that the ignition coil has shorted internally in the primary windings and needs to be replaced.
Beside above, how do you test the resistance of a secondary coil? Connect your multimeter to the positive terminal or pin of your coil, and to the high output terminal that goes to the spark plug. Most ignition coils should have a secondary resistance falling somewhere between 6,000 to 10,000 ohms; however, refer to manufacturer specifications for the correct range.
Herein, how do you test primary and secondary coils?
- Remove the coil from the vehicle.
- Test the resistance of the primary circuit by setting the multimeter to the ohms setting.
- Test the secondary circuit by attaching one lead to the negative terminal of the coil, and the other to the terminal where the spark-plug wire plugs in.
How many ohms should an ignition coil have?
Most coils should read between 0.4 and 2 ohms. Zero resistance would indicate a shorted coil while a high resistance reading would indicate an open coil. Secondary resistance is measured between the positive (+) terminal and high voltage output terminal.