Asked by: Melito Paraninasked in category: General Last Updated: 7th June, 2020
How do you fertilize Ligustrum hedges?
- Add aged compost to the soil when planting your privet shrubs, mixing approximately 3 inches of compost into the top 1 foot of soil.
- Apply a 15-5-10 fertilizer to the soil around your privet shrubs in early spring or mid-fall when the privet shrubs aren't producing new, green shoots.
Similarly, you may ask, what is the best fertilizer for hedges?
We recommend a 6-7month slow releasefertilizer for most climates. Apex makes a 16-5-9 slow release 6-7 month release, which works great for our hedge varieties. In the Pacific Northwest, you can use a longer-release fertilizer of 8-9 months. For longer release, Osmocote Blend 18-5-12 is a great choice.
Similarly, how often should I water Ligustrum? Water. In general, most types of privets prefer constantly moist soil conditions, so long as the privet shrub's roots aren't sitting in standing water. Apply irrigation whenever the top 3 to 4 inches of soil have dried out, which may be every day or every other day depending on your soil type and the weather.
Also Know, how do you fertilize Ligustrum?
Fertilize ligustrum plants in early spring and again in late summer or fall. You can also fertilize in summer if the plants are growing rapidly or appear to need another feeding. Use 0.7 pounds of 15-5-10 or 15-5-15 fertilizer for each 100 square feet.
How do I make my hedges thicker?
- Cut away the terminal bud, located at the tip of each branch of the shrub, with a pair of pruning shears.
- Select two or three branches with heavy top growth that blocks sunlight from reaching the middle of the shrub.
- Wait a few weeks until the shrub produces new shoots from the pruning cuts.