Asked by: Suhaib Ladyjenskyasked in category: General Last Updated: 11th January, 2020
How do I make my hummingbird feeder ant proof?
- Remove the feeder and straighten out the wire it hangs on.
- Use a drill, awl or heated finish nail to make a hole in the center of the lid.
- Slide the lid down the wire until it is a few inches above the top of the feeder, with the bottom of the lid facing up.
In this way, how do I ant proof my hummingbird feeder?
DIY Ant Moat
- Take a bottle or can-lid with two rings.
- Run a wire through this hole up to feeder.
- The hole from where the wire has gone through should be completely sealed.
- Now fill the gap(between outer and inner rings) with water.
- If the inflow of ants is large, you can use a bigger lid with a large and deep moat.
Beside above, will Vaseline keep ants away? To use it effectively, you do need to take some time to identify where they're coming from, but once you've located all their usual hideouts, simply smear some Vaseline over it. Ants can't seem to be able to go through it so a barrier of Vaseline will do the trick and keep them out.
Correspondingly, will hummingbirds come to feeder with ants?
Ants, bees and wasps are attracted to the same sugar nectar that hummingbirds like. This makes it difficult for your hummingbirds to feed safely. Not only do these insects steal the nectar, but they can also contaminate it – which discourages hummingbirds from using that feeder.
Where should you put a hummingbird feeder?
Proper hummingbird feeder placement is important for the birds and for you! Place it under a tree or some partial shade of a large bush, canopy or overhang from your house. Shade keeps the nectar water from spoiling to quickly (clean and change nectar every 3 to 5 days when the temperature rises).