Asked by: Mengyao Blumkinasked in category: General Last Updated: 6th January, 2020
How do I find the generic name of a drug?
Click to see full answer.
Keeping this in view, how do you know the generic name of a drug?
Generic name, drug: The term "generic name" has several meanings as regards drugs:
- The chemical name of a drug.
- A term referring to the chemical makeup of a drug rather than to the advertised brand name under which the drug is sold.
- A term referring to any drug marketed under its chemical name without advertising.
One may also ask, what is the difference between brand name and generic name of a drug? Every medicine has a brand name, which is given by the pharmaceutical company that markets the drug, and a generic name, the drug's 'active ingredient' that makes it work. When a medicine with a new active ingredient first appears, it is protected by a patent for several years.
Also question is, what is generic name with example?
An example of a generic drug, one used for diabetes, is metformin. A brand name for metformin is Glucophage. (Brand names are usually capitalized while generic names are not.) A generic drug, one used for hypertension, is metoprolol, whereas a brand name for the same drug is Lopressor.
How do I find out the name of a medicine?
How To Use the RxList Pill Identifier/Pill Finder Tool
- Enter or Select from the drop down, the imprint code on the medication, (The imprint is the letters, numbers or other markings on the pill, tablet or capsule.
- Select the color of the pill in the pull-down menu above.